ust South of Sierre, the villages of Chandolin, St-Luc, Grimentz, Vercorin and Zinal comprise Val D'Anniviers, a largely unconnected ski area regarded by many as some of the most outstanding slopes in the entire Alps. Grimentz is probably the prettiest and most easily accessible of the villages and, since December 2013, has a lift connecting it to Zinal, where there is some good off-piste plus a scenic but tough run back to Grimentz. With a long, tortuous road journey to access the slopes and overshadowed by more famous resorts in Valais, this valley really is an almost undiscovered gem of wonderful, uncrowded slopes.
Best of the Slopes
10k run off Lona Bergstation back into Grimentz is a lovely run, with a steep section at the end if you found the early bits too easy. Lots of good off-piste, plus with the new lift there is access to Zinal and the tough, scenic trail back into Grimentz.
Where to Eat and Party
Chez Florio at the bottom of the slopes is always busy at the end of the day, and Le County Pub and the Domino are good places to head off to for evening drinks. Disco Shaddock is open into the small hours. Meleze is a fun place to eat with a hot stone cook-it-yourself menu option but there are a good half a dozen reasonable restaurants to choose from in the village.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Grimentz, télécabine. Bus stop is adjacent to gondola. Buses from Vissoie also serve Zinal and St Luc/Chandolin, and from Sierre serve Vercorin
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 43 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 53 mins with as few as 3 changes going via Visp / Sierre / Vissoie.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 2 hrs 15 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Sierre / Vissoie.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 313 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 30 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 286 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 192 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 9 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 197 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 20 mins.
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 132 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 40 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 159 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 47 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Visit resort web site for details - see sidebar.
Piste Map for Grimentz
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Hotel Cristal, Grimentz (3*) Family rooms available.
+41 274753291 http://www.cristalhotel.ch
- $$$ Mountain Heaven Chalets, Grimentz (Chalet) Catered and self-catering available.
+44 1516251921 http://www.mountainheaven.co.uk
- $$$$ Grand Hôtel Bella Tola & St-Luc, St-Luc (4*) Rated a historic hotel by the Swiss Tourist Board and highly regarded.
- $$$ Hotel Weisshorn, St-Luc Ski-in, ski-out belle époque hotel with access to wonderful off-piste, snoeshoeing and winter walks - it is on the Chemin des Planètes (no road access or groomed pistes).
+41 274751106 http://www.weisshorn.ch
- $$$ Colline de Daval, Sierre Ranked #1 in Sierre by TripAdvisor.
+41 274584515 http://www.collinededaval.ch/
- $$$ Hotel Terminus, Sierre (4*) Famous for the restaurant Didier de Courten with it's two Michelin stars, the hotel is conveniently situated next door to the station.
+41 274551351 http://www.hotel-terminus.ch/
- $ A la Pointe de Zinal, Zinal
+41 274751164 http://www.lapointedezinal.ch