he 4 Vallées is an area encompassing a number of resorts, including Thyon, Versonnaz, Nendaz and, most famously, Verbier. Verbier is probably the liveliest and brashest resort in Switzerland whilst all the villages on the circuit give access to one of the world's great areas for hard core off-piste. The area most renowned is around Mont-Fort where there are some frighteningly steep runs. There are, however, good slopes available for all levels of skier and snowboarder and, although it is not my favourite resort, it really does have something for everyone. There are several lift passes available, one covering the area around Verbier (but not Mt Fort), one for the area around La Tzoumaz/Savoleyres, one for Printse (including Haute-Nendaz, Veysonnaz, and Thyon/Les Collons), one for Bruson and one covering the entire region of 4 Vallées/Mont Fort. The circuit is at its most efficient around Verbier and Mont Fort - for the rest of the 4 Vallées surface lifts are unavoidable and you still find the odd antique chairlift alongside more modern equipment. It can also take longer than you expect getting across the resort - easily two or three hours for an experiences skier or snowboarder to get from, say, Veysonnaz or Les Collons to Nendaz or Verbier.
There are a wide range of choices for accessing the 4 Vallées. For a day trip Siviez makes a good destination (via, or as an alternative to, Nendaz). Beginners probably would find Thyon and Les Collons or Les Masses most to their liking, families might opt for Nendaz, intermediates for Veysonnaz and experts for Verbier.
Best of the Slopes
Much is made of the really very tough off-piste off the back of Mont-Fort and off Mont-Gele, but there are some good marked trails to try out too and they can often provide good off-piste conditions when there is fresh snow. The challenging wall down to Tortin from Chassoure is a must for strong intermediates to test themselves and the Vallon d'Arby trail to La Tzoumaz and the surrounding off-piste is exceptional. There are also some excellent runs for less adventurous intermediates too, such as the piste from Les Attelas down to Verbier. The runs down from Les Ruinettes and on Savroleyres include some nice blues.
By Public Transport
The best destination to access the downhill slopes by public transport in this ski area is Le Chable. The station is adjacent to gondola. Voucher only covers the Verbier area, not the full 4 Vallées for which a small additional charge is made at the lift station. Ensure the ski pass you get given with your voucher covers all areas if you want to explore the whole ski area. The resort operates the Snow'n'Rail scheme, providing a 20% discount on the combined travel ticket and lift pass.
- From Zurich the least travel time is 3 hrs 17 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 224.80 SFr, reduced to 144.40 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Basel the least travel time is 3 hrs 21 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 212.00 SFr, reduced to 138.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Berne the least travel time is 2 hrs 32 mins with as few as 2 changes going via Visp or Lausanne / Martigny. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 172.40 SFr, reduced to 120.00 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Lausanne the least travel time is 1 hrs 19 mins with as few as 1 changes going via Martigny. Typically, an adult one day combined ticket is 127.60 SFr, or 97.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
- From Luzern an adult one day combined ticket is 215.60 SFr, or 141.60 SFr with a Half-Price card.
Indicative prices are for travel to Le Châble. Click here to find prices for other destinations. Under the combined ticket scheme the additional charge for a two day pass is 62.00 SFr.
Please refer to a map and check local conditions for accurate routing information.
- The road distance from Zurich is around 278 km and the journey time is roughly 3 hrs 10 mins.
- The road distance from Basel is around 251 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs 50 mins.
- The road distance from Berne is around 157 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 45 mins.
- The road distance from Geneva is around 162 km and the journey time is roughly 2 hrs .
- The road distance from Lausanne is around 98 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 15 mins.
- The road distance from Fribourg is around 127 km and the journey time is roughly 1 hr 30 mins.
Latest Resort Report
Visit resort web site for details - see sidebar.
Piste Map for 4 Vallées
Get directions from Google in a new window or tab
Accommodation in the Resort & Nearby
- $$$ Hôtel du Rhône, Sion (3*) Covenient for the centre of Sion and the station, with guest parking.
+41 273228291 http://www.durhonesion.ch
- $$ Le Deserteur Hotel, Nendaz (3*)
+41 272882455 http://www.ledeserteur.ch
- $ Sion Youth Hostel, Sion (Hostel) Convenient for station, sadly not open until late March..
+41 273237470 http://www.youthhostel.ch/en/
- $ Dzardys Bar & Backpacker, Le Chable (Hostel) At the foot of the gondola up to Verbier.
+41 275652531 http://dzardys-bar.ch/
- $$$$$ Chalet D'Adrien, Verbier (5*) Small, exclusive establishment famous for it's restaurants.
+41 277716200 http://www.chalet-adrien.com/
- $$$$$ W, Verbier (5*) Winner of the 2016 World Ski Awards Best Ski Hotel in the World.
+41 274728888 http://www.wverbier.com/
- $$$$$ La Cordée des Alpes, Verbier (4*) Hotel favoured by royalty.
+41 277754545 http://www.hotelcordee.com
- $$$ Hotel Bristol, Verbier (3*)
+41 277716577 http://www.bristol-verbier.ch/